4.29.2005

Tiger and Batman

So I had to attend a pretty mind-numbing local awards ceremony tonight for the magazine, but the side benefit was that it took place in a hotel near Indy's Apple store, so I was able to swing by after the ceremony and check out the release party for the new operating system (nicknamed Tiger). They've added a huge amount of new stuff (like this wicked cool Dashboard app), and the level of integration between all the different native applications is pretty much unprecedented. I even won a free iTunes download just for showing up. Woo-hoo. I was lucky to get out without buying an iPod Shuffle or some totally unnecessary Bose speakers for my current iPod. But the coolest thing in the store was the new 30" flat-screen monitor, which might as well be a plasma TV. They were running movie trailers to show the quality of the picture on one of these things, and I have to say, I was blown away. I'm ready to trade in my TV and my iMac for one of these things.

Between picking my jaw up off the floor and wiping the drool, I got the chance to see the latest Batman Begins trailer. I have to say, I was pretty skeptical about the casting of girl-next-door Katie Holmes, but this trailer makes me feel a little better about how she'll fit into the movie. Her performance almost looks good enough to make me forgive her for dating Tom Cruise. Almost, but not quite. I can't figure out what bothers me more: the fact that she's dating a guy almost twice her age, or the fact that I care enough to blog about it. Oy. Regardless of Katie's off-screen romances, Batman Begins looks like it's going to kick some ass. It's shaping up to be a great summer for tortured badasses in black armor and capes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You don't really blame Katie Holmes for dating Tom Cruise, do you? I mean, it is weird. But he's Tom Cruise!

She was in a very sweet movie--Pieces of April--that made me think she actually has a decent acting ability, too.

Mike said...

It's also quite possibly a sham to boost their careers. I have to admit, that was the first thing that crossed my mind, but I thought I was just being cynical. Hard to believe, I know.

Anonymous said...

Definitely crossed my mind when I first heard it, too. They did it in Hollywood's heydey all the time (usually to offset rumors of the leading man being gay; I don't really think that's the case here, but you never know).

True or not, I think it's a dream come true for her.