4.06.2005

Long, long, long

My day at work, that is. Just got home, and I'm surprisingly not that tired. It's amazing what a run at lunch will do for you. Unfortunately, that means I missed Lost and DC United's CONCACAF Champions' Cup game against UNAM Pumas, a Mexican team. Again, loving my DVR. I already know the sort of disappointing DC result (they tied 1-1), but I'll watch it anyway at some point to see the goals.

I'm certainly not condoning the action, but this has got to be one of the best headlines of the year. Nice to see that his character on the Sopranos wasn't much of a stretch. Thanks to Nikki for passing that along.

Being at work for so long today gave me a chance to spend some more time with Bloc Party's Silent Alarm, and beyond the fact that I like this disc more and more every time I listen to it, I think the early U2 comparison I made was pretty apt. Kele Okereke sounds nothing like Bono, but lyrically he covers the same revolutionary ground as Bono's early work. Russell Lissack's chiming guitar occupies the same sonic range as The Edge's distinctive sound, and while Bloc Party's rhythm section is a little funkier than Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen Jr. ever were, they both provide a solid anchor for the melodic call to arms of vocals and guitar. But Bloc Party obviously have other influences, and they wear them proudly on their sleeves as well. If I listened to "Price of Gas" without knowing the artist, I could easily believe it was an old PiL track.

1 comment:

Todd - MyFlightBlog.com said...

I really enjoyed the last 10 minutes of the game. I wonder if Adu should have put in sooner. Should be an entertaining game next week.