4.19.2005

On the road again

Well, I'm off to New York tomorrow. Should be a fun couple of days: see some old friends, shop in stores that Hoosiers have never heard, and see movies that might show up here in three months or so. I'm pretty jazzed about the trip, so being the Type A personality that I am, I'm already packed and ready to go.

The National Soccer Hall of Fame class for this year was announced today, and it's three heavy hitters in US Soccer history: John Harkes, Tab Ramos, and Marcelo Balboa. All three were a big part of the 1994 World Cup team, and played in various leagues around the world until MLS was formed in 1996. Harksey was also a big part of DC United's first two championships, so I'm happy to see him get the nod, and Tab and 'Celo combined for one of my favorite National Team goals of all time, in a must-win World Cup Qualifier against Costa Rica back in 1997. However, while this is a well-deserved honor for these guys, it's a little bittersweet for me. All three of them have been around long enough that I was looking up to them in high school, and nothing makes you feel as old as when they start sending your heroes out to pasture. When Cal Ripken Jr. goes to Cooperstown, it's all over.

1 comment:

Todd - MyFlightBlog.com said...

Oh, I pray they don't give Harkes a microphone at that event. Of course it does not matter it will not be covered on TV.