4.02.2005

Coming home for Opening Day

Well, my stint as suburbanite dog-sitter is coming to a close. The owners will be back this evening, so I'm hanging out during the day and cleaning the house, but as of 5:00, I'm free. I'll miss having a puppy to play with, but I also can't wait to sleep in my own bed tonight. And sleep uninterrupted for the entire night.

Today is Opening Day for Major League Soccer. Woo-hoo! All 12 teams are in action, highlighted by DC United taking on Chivas USA on ABC at 3:00 Eastern. There are lots of interesting storylines to watch this year. How will Landon Donovan play after returning to the US? Will Eddie Johnson's play for FC Dallas match his torrid streak for the National Team, and if so, which big European club will swoop in to buy him? How will the expansion teams (Real Salt Lake and Chivas) do, both on the field and at the gate? Will Freddy Adu develop into the type of player people expect him to be? Can DC United repeat, or will a new team step to the forefront? However all of these questions are answered, what's most exciting to me is that this is the 10th season of MLS, and instead of the pre-season articles talking about whether MLS will make it, what it's financial situation is, or what teams are being contacted, the focus is on the game. Player movements, new stadiums, and two new teams have helped that, but 10 years gives the league some credibility, and as long as the level of play continues to improve, the future is certainly looking rosy.

There's plenty of articles out there about the 2005 MLS season, but one place I've been getting my news lately is from a fellow Blogspot member. SoccerPundit does a nice job of gathering the latest American soccer news in one spot. And it helps that he and I happen to agree on a lot of issues.

I had some friends over and watched The Ring last night for the first time, and I figured staying by myself in a big empty house in the woods, I'd be scared out of my wits. Instead, I fell asleep 10 minutes after my friends left. I guess I'm getting old. "Horror" movies just don't have the same effect on me as they used to.

No comments: