12.02.2011

BAW II: Electric Boogaloo

Seriously, what would I be doing these days without Spotify? Sure, the ads in between every third song are annoying, but the ability to immediately pull up just about any music I want to listen to is worth the inconvenience. Last night, catching up on All Songs Considered podcasts while I was at the gym, I heard two bands I wanted to check out: Grouplove and We Were Promised Jetpacks. So when I got home, I opened Spotify, searched both groups, added their latest albums to my playlist (Never Trust A Happy Song and In The Pit of the Stomach, if you're interested), and I had a soundtrack for today. So easy.

As for the music, I'm digging both albums for different reasons. Grouplove plays a tighter version of 90's psychedelica, like a less trippy Flaming Lips, and despite their album title, there's a raucous joy in their music. If you can listen to "Tongue-Tied" and not tap your feet, there's something wrong with you.

WWPJ, on the other hand, play that angular British rock made popular by Franz Ferdinand, Arctic Monkeys, and Bloc Party, but they have the ability to reach a more expansive layer in their songs. Listen to the instrumental opening of "Act on Impulse" for an example.


Grouplove, "Tongue-Tied"


 We Were Promised Jetpacks, "Act on Impulse"

No comments: