8.08.2005

Matisyahu

Lots of work lately can't stop me from buying new music. Today's iTunes store purchase: Matisyahu's Live at Stubb's. OK, some explanation is needed, because you're probably looking at the picture and thinking, "This is some crazy Weird Al thing, right?" Oh no, my friends. Matisyahu is a Hasidic Jew, and the music is straight-up reggae. More info can be found at his site. I've never been much of a reggae fan, but this album is incredible. And as weird as this marriage of cultures seems, the themes of oppression and searching for the promised land that are so prevalent in reggae seem to mesh pretty well with Jewish history. More on that from Paste Magazine.

In a stroke of perfect timing, turns out Matisyahu is opening for Trey Anastasio tomorrow night here in Indy. I was debating whether to go to this show, since I wouldn't mind seeing Trey solo. I was thinking $35 was a little steep, but adding Matisyahu to the mix probably puts it over the top for me. I think it would be worth the money just to hear Matisyahu beat-box.

2 comments:

jsa said...

LOVE THIS!!
The girls are dancing all over my office listening to him.

And Alexa just asked me if I'm going to marry you.

Have to appreciate how music inspires such passion in them.

Mike said...

Ahhh, kids. They say the darndest things.