9.28.2005

A History of Violence

Well, I didn’t love it. I didn’t hate it either. I’m still trying to decide exactly what I felt overall, but my first impressions were: it was a little predictable, none of the actors blew me away (except maybe Ed Harris), and Howard Shore’s score was very disappointing. Certainly didn’t seem worthy of a standing O at Cannes, but hey, the French are the French. I definitely didn’t hate it as much as the people one row behind, who called it “the dumbest f---ing movie ever.” In fact, I didn’t feel strongly about it either way, and I think that’s what bothers me. Sure, it was a more interesting way to spend an evening than sitting around my apartment, but I feel no compulsion to see this film again. I was really hoping for a lot more.

On movie etiquette: here’s a couple of tips for when you head to the theater. Do not, I repeat, do not bring a four-year-old to an R-rated movie, even one that starts at 7:30 pm, and expect them to sit quietly. Setting aside the fact that you’re an incredibly irresponsible parent for exposing them to some very graphic violence, you can’t get upset when they ask questions like, “Why is he hurting her, Mommy?” during a sex scene. You’re not allowed get upset, but the people sitting around you sure are.

And for the love of God, if you have a persistent cough that produces enough phlegm to fill a large cup, don’t come to the movie theater and ruin the experience for everyone else. Take a night off. Cough up your lung in the privacy of your own home, take some Nyquil, and wait a few days until you’re better to go see the movie. It’ll still be there next weekend.

3 comments:

Todd - MyFlightBlog.com said...

There should be special theaters for people who have signed a movie etiquette agreement. In that theater all are welcome that follow the membership rules (no feet on chairs, no kids in R rated films, no talking, no sitting in handicap seats if you are not handicap, etc.). If you violate any of these rules even onece you are immediatly kicked out and forced to return watching films with the rest of the etiquetteless society.

jsa said...

Hilarious. I love "etiquetteless".

I'd also add to this quarantined group the guys in suspenseful or scary movies who yell, "Don't open the door! He's going to open the door!...Dang, he opened the DOOR!"

Mike said...

Yeah, they've got fancy movie theaters now where you pay extra money for wide leather seats and a better menu. If the etiquette's better, I'd pay extra money...