9.07.2005

Fashionably late

Well, since some f'ing stupid boring-ass baseball game is more important to espn2 than the US-Guatemala World Cup Qualifier, I have some free time to talk about this new band I've discovered. They're called Death Cab for Cutie. They've got this fantastic new CD, Plans, that's really been flying under the radar. I don't think anybody's heard of them... what's that? Major label debut? Five previous full-length albums? On the cover of every major music magazine? Oh. Well, never mind then.

Anyway, consider me firmly ensconced on the DCFC bandwagon. I've always loved Ben Gibbard's side project, The Postal Service, ever since I first heard "The District Sleeps Tonight" back in '03, but I had never really paid much attention to his day job other than the few songs I'd heard here and there. Well, thanks to a fortuitous Target gift card, I decided to take a chance on Plans tonight, and I'm glad I did. I have no frame of reference since I've never listened to any other Death Cab albums, so I can't speak to how this new one compares. But if Plans is any indication of how good Death Cab is, I'll be adding their back catalog to my collection shortly.

MP3s:
"I Will Follow You Into the Dark"
and
"Marching Bands of Manhattan"
from Plans.

1 comment:

jsa said...

Death Cab is also hot for soundtracks, if I remember correctly, which makes it doubly astonishing you're not already a fan.

I like 'em. And they're about the best-named band out there.

Oo! Oo! Subject for another blog!