5.07.2005

A Well-Deserved Name


Thanks to a break from supporting U2, Kings of Leon played in Indy tonight at The Music Mill, and I'd like to thank Bono & Co. for giving these guys the night off. The opening act was an unremarkable band called Stereo Deluxe whose set I immediately forgot as soon as it was over. The Kings came on a little after 10:00 dressed a bit like the Rolling Stones circa 1982 and played a great hour-plus set equally split between their two albums. I didn't really know anything from Aha Shake Heartbreak, but that didn't keep me from enjoying the show. The highlight for me was the one-two punch of "Red Morning Light" and "The Bucket" about midway through, but unfortunately, the show started to lose steam from that point. However, the crowd was really into it, and the band seemed pleasantly surprised at the reception. Caleb (the lead singer) even made a point of saying "We'll definitely be back" when introducing the last song, and if that's true, I'd happily see them again.

This was such a different experience from my last Music Mill show. Great sound, a good crowd, and aside from a "no cameras" rule that prompted a lot of chasing by the security guards, no real distractions from the show. I'm starting to be impressed with whoever put this place together. The lineup of upcoming shows looks pretty good, and for a former Discovery Zone in a strip mall parking lot, they've been doing pretty well.

No comments: