5.19.2005

MAJOR SPOILERS!!!!

Don't click on any links in this post until you've seen Revenge of the Sith. At first blush, I thought it was a good to great movie. I probably didn't need to stay up until 3 am to watch, but it was fun. By no means was the movie perfect; it still suffered from some wince-inducing dialogue and lack of emotive acting by a few key players, but overall, it made me feel a hell of a lot better about the Lucas legacy. The action sequences (of which there were plenty) were definitely taken up a notch from any previous Star Wars film, and the acting and dialogue were markedly improved from Attack of the Clones. The highlight for me was the climactic duel between Anakin and Obi-Wan. When they first began facing off, I got chills.

Here's what a variety of reviewers had to say about the film. Owen Glieberman of Entertainment Weekly comes closest to summing up my feelings, and I found the following tidbit from Roger Ebert's review to be very interesting, coming from someone who's at least close to being a Hollywood insider:
"Note: I said this is not necessarily the last of the "Star Wars" movies. Although Lucas has absolutely said he is finished with the series, it is inconceivable to me that 20th Century-Fox will willingly abandon the franchise, especially as Lucas has hinted that parts VII, VIII and IX exist at least in his mind. There will be enormous pressure for them to be made, if not by him, then by his deputies."

OTHER REVIEWS
E! Online
New York Times
Rolling Stone
San Francisco Chronicle
Washington Post

No comments: