5.06.2005

Ben Folds totally rawks!!!!


Ohmigod, so like I went to see that Ben Folds guy tonight, and he like totally rulez!!! OK, well it was kind of boring when he played a bunch of songs that like nobody knew so I just talked during those, but then he played that sad song about his girlfriend getting an abortion and I went nuts! Me and my girls were totally dancing, and I recorded the song on my phone and sent it to my boyfriend, cuz he luvs that song too. It was so hot.

I thought I'd give you a little taste of what it's like to stand next to a couple of Paris and Nikki Hilton wannabes at a Ben Folds show. Torture. Between the completely inappropriate dancing and getting bumped by a swinging purse every 5 seconds, it almost ruined the show for me. Thankfully, some drunken idiot started hitting on them and chased them away.

Meanwhile, onstage, Ben Folds was putting on a fantastic show. He played for about two hours, opening with The Cure's "In Between Days" and closing with a superfast version of "One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces". Most of the show was with his band (just like Ben Folds Five, a drummer and a bassist), but he played several songs solo. He mixed it up pretty evenly between all of his solo stuff and BFF discs, only playing about four songs from the just-released Songs for Silverman, and there was plenty of audience participation (if you've listened to Ben Folds Live, it was pretty much the same stuff). High energy, great setlist, and a lot of fun. I would have been happy with another hour, but I'll take what we got.

Now for a bit of shuteye, and then tomorrow night, Kings of Leon.

2 comments:

I am Z said...

glad you got to see ben folds -- he bangs the hell out of his piano though. would hate to be the one in charge of keeping theat thing up to par. saw him about 2 years ago -- fleming and john opened for him. great show.

peace,
zayne

Mike said...

Agreed. He tossed his stool into the keys at the end, and I just remember thinking "His poor paino tech." Dude's probably well used to it by now, though.