5.12.2005

Now that's funny

On the eve of the release of the final Star Wars film, Scott Kurtz has managed to compress the feelings of nerds everywhere into four small panels of his PVP comic.

For the uninitiated, Joss Whedon created the TV shows Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, and Firefly, is currently writing the hottest X-Men title out there, Astonishing X-Men, and is directing two upcoming movies: Serenity (continuing the story from the cancelled Firefly series) and Wonder Woman. If you are a sci-fi or fantasy nerd, you've bowed at his feet at some point in the past 5 years. And if not, you will soon.

I'm in the midst of burning mixes for the drive to Chicago tomorrow, including songs from the new CDs I bought: DMB's Stand Up, Spoon's Gimme Fiction, Weezer's Make Believe, and The Mars Volta's Frances the Mute. I learned my lesson again about judging a disc by a few 30-second samples. I wasn't going to buy Weezer based on what I had heard... it just didn't seem like they were bringing anything new to the table. Thankfully, it was so cheap at Target I couldn't pass it up, and it's my favorite of my purchases. A very good, solid disc with a sweeping and epic (for Weezer anyway) closing track, and a lot less uneven than their last two CDs.

Here's the mixes I'm making... one more current stuff and one of all cover songs:

Disc 1
American Baby, Dave Matthews Band
Molly's Chambers, Kings Of Leon
Spiral Staircase, Kings Of Leon
Lyla, Oasis
Lips Like Sugar, Echo and the Bunnymen
I Predict A Riot, Kaiser Chiefs
Positive Tension, Bloc Party
The Damage In Your Heart, Weezer
Too Much Information, The Police
Born Into The World, Supersystem
I Turn My Camera On, Spoon
Merry Go Round, Silver Sunshine
No Other Way, Jack Johnson
Pure, Lightning Seeds
The Bucket, Kings Of Leon
Big Deal, Damien Jurado And Gathered In Song
Let There Be Love, Oasis
Stolen Away On 55th & 3rd, Dave Matthews Band
Air, Ben Folds Five
Blue Light, Bloc Party


Disc 2
Day Tripper, The Jimi Hendrix Experience (originally by The Beatles)
Video Killed the Radio Star, Ben Folds Five (The Buggles)
Since U Been Gone, Ted Leo (Kelly Clarkson)
In Between Days, Ben Folds (The Cure)
Let's Go To Bed, Ivy (The Cure)
Sexual Healing, Soul Asylum (Marvin Gaye)
Watching The Wheels, The Samples (John Lennon)
Champagne Supernova, matt pond PA (Oasis)
Mrs. Robinson, The Lemonheads (Simon & Garfunkel)
Wild Horses, The Sundays (The Rolling Stones)
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out, Joseph Arthur (The Smiths)
I Will Survive, Cake (Gloria Gaynor)
Let My Love Open The Door, M. Ward (Pete Townsend)
This Moment, Matthew Sweet (Victoria Williams)
Silly Love Songs, Red House Painters (Paul McCartney & Wings)
Lips Like Sugar (live), Coldplay (Echo & the Bunnymen)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Time to send your friend in Detroit another mix.....the covers especially look amazing, but both are the perfect, well, mix.

Mike said...

As long as you promise to go out and buy these songs after listening to them. Because just giving you copies would be, well, illegal. ;)

Anonymous said...

Of COURSE I will. In fact, now that you mention it, I should just do that. I will download and pay my proper fees as any music industry-supporting person does. Yessir.