5.29.2005

All mixed up

It's possible that Mike Relm may be the most talented DJ ever. He opened for Gift of Gab and Lateef the Truth Speaker at the show my brother and I went to in April, and at that show Doug bought his CD, Radio Fryer. Well, I finally got around to listening to it the whole way through, and it is amazing. He pulls samples from a broad range of pop, rock, and even TV and movies to create a pop culture pastiche that leans very heavily on 80's music. If you've ever listened to a song and thought, "That beat sounds just like (insert another song here)," then you'll love this CD, because this is the best mashup disc you'll probably ever hear. But don't take my word for it: download some samples from his website. The highlight for me is track 6, "Beware of the Jacksons", when he combines the acapella vocals from the Jackson 5's "I Want You Back" with the bassline from the Knight Rider theme song and lays them over a bhangra beat. Inspired, and just plain sick. Almost equally cool is having the Beastie Boys rap over the B-52's "Rock Lobster".

No comments: