3.01.2005

Paste Recommends... that I spend more money on CDs

Regular readers (all three of you) may remember my post about my last visit to Luna Music, a local CD shop. Tonight I stopped by again to pick up the new CD from one of my favorite bands, Doves. When I got there, I discovered to my delight that Luna has a promotional listening booth set up by my favorite music magazine, Paste. For those of you not familiar with the magazine, it covers a lot of alt country, roots rock and British artists that you may not hear on the radio (at least not yet), and each issue comes with a 20+ track sampler CD. Since subscribing a year ago, I've spent more than my normal amount of money on music, because I discover some great artists on each new sampler CD. Well now, to make matters worse, Paste is placing these listening stations, called Paste Recommends, in independent music stores like Luna. You can listen to a variety of CDs by different artists and also listen to the sampler from the current issue of Paste. So to make a long story short, not only did I pick up Doves' stellar new disc, "Some Cities", but I also got Ivy's "In the Clear" and the self-titled debut from The Shore. It's both a blessing and a curse to love music so much. Blessing on my ears, curse on my wallet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So funny...I was going to comment almost the exact same thing. I don't know of any indy music stores around me, though I'm quite sure Detroit must have a bunch. My suburbs are pretty suburban.

And my p.s. was: Doesn't Gaven Degraw's song "I Don't Want to Be" sound an awful lot like Geddy Lee and friends in the beginning? Obviously it quickly moves to more of a Black Crowes sound, but listen to it---I always do a double take when it first comes on!