11.01.2005

Truly, truly outrageously hot

Tonight was the final concert in my 17-day stretch of shows: Jem, the Welsh producer and singer who will one day be having my children.

Opener was Josh Kelley. We arrived in the middle of his set, so I can't give a full report, but his set was a little too polished for me (his band seemed to be a bunch of session players assembled by his label). He seems to have some potential, though. In his best moments, he sounded a bit like a young Billy Joel. If he ends up with half the longevity of the Piano Man, Kelley should be happy.

Sadly, Jem only played for about an hour. She's still touring in support of her first disc, Finally Woken, so she really didn't have many songs to draw from. She played most of FW as well as a new song and a cover of Coldplay's "In My Place". I stood right up against the stage and managed to have some quality eye contact going before I collapsed in a puddle of drool, because my girl is smoking hot in person. Plus, she has this cute little hip-hop thing going on when she sings (she's got the rapper's side-to-side hand motion and that little bend-at-the-knees dance down), and an accent that can even make words like "Indianapolis" sound interesting. Hopefully, the new song was an indication that she'll have a new disc out soon. She really has a terrific singing voice, although you wouldn't have know it from the sound system tonight. If I hadn't been so distracted by staring at her, I might have been really disappointed by a muddy mix. After an all-too-brief set, Jem was quickly whisked off to her bus, so I'll just have to wait until the next time she comes through town to run away to Wales with her. *sigh*

No comments: