11.07.2005

Sex sells?

I am, and have always been, a believer in the power of suggestion. After all, it was just last night that those McDonald's ads I kept seeing during all the football I watched convinced me that I needed a greasy Quarter Pounder and some limp, lukewarm fries. No persuading that advertising works necessary here. And of course, should there be a good-looking woman connected to the product being sold, I'm a lot more likely to pay attention. I'm not proud of it, but it's an undeniable weakness of American... OK, all men, that advertisers have been preying on for years.

But sometimes, the sexy spokesmodel strategy can backfire. Case in point: if you've watched any TV in the past three months, you've likely seen Mercury's ad campaign with Jill Wagner (pictured). Now, I would probably never buy a Mercury anyway, but every time one of these commercials comes on, I am so distracted by the extreme hotness of the spokesmodel, I barely register the product. For instance, I couldn't tell you the name of a single Mercury model (likely repeated several times during the ad), yet I know Jill Wagner's name (never once mentioned in the ad). The only thing these commercials motivated me to investigate further was who she is. I cared about it enough to Google "Mercury spokesmodel" (which led me to discover that I'm not the only blogger who's suffering from this minor problem: Wez Says..., Jalopnik, and Population Statistic all feel my pain), but have absolutely no interest in checking out a single Mercury vehicle. So advertisers, here's your lesson: sex may sell, but make sure it doesn't overshadow your product. Instead of being perceived as a boring car company for old people, you'll become the boring car company with that hot girl in their commercials. Not really sure that's gonna have people flocking to the dealerships.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure feeling something when I see Jill Wagner, but it ain't pain...

It's a delicate balancing act in getting the message and the product across in advertising. Especially today, when ads are crafted more as entertainment than as information nuggets. Sometimes you're so mesmerized by that supermodel, or the funny chimps, or whatever, and you don't notice the logo.

But most of the time, it works. Even if you don't remember the car models, you remember it's Mercury. And after all, you are writing about it here, thus providing word of mouth (blog) exposure, even if it's for the general brand only. Advertising is part science, but it's far from an exact science.

Mike said...

Good points. I did think about the free publicity aspect before I posted, and I agree that building name recognition for your brand is always good, but my point is these ads do nothing to change my already-held opinion of the product or generate the least bit of interest on my part towards said product. So next time around, maybe Mercury's ad agency can just show Ms. Wagner and subliminally flash messages like the names of their cars or "Buy a Mercury" or something, anything that might compel me to even think about whether there's a Mercury dealership within 100 miles of me.

jsa said...

Woman's perspective: I also remember taking note of these ads, because I thought her pants were wrong for the outfit and didn't fit her or flatter her well.

Could not have told you the kind of car it was advertising if someone gave me a million bucks...but I totally registered the sheerish, purplish sweater because I liked it.

Wez said...

she is MAD HOT.

Anonymous said...

She is very smart her style is very very stagger wish her all the best.