7.04.2005

Music geeks, unite!

Anal about your music listening habits? Want to keep better stats of what you're listening to beyond what iTunes "Recently Played" list provides? Then Audioscrobbler will be a fun toy for you. Here's how it works: I downloaded a plugin for iTunes (but they have them for a variety of music players), and it uploads the title and artist of every song I play to a server. I get my own page which shows stats based on what I've listened to (Recent Tracks, Top Artist, Top Tracks), and once I've uploaded 100 tracks (which I'll do sometime today), it matches me up with other members who have similar tastes in music. There are forums where I can chat with other members, and I can also join groups. I heard about Audioscrobbler on the BigSoccer message boards, so I joined their group with a bunch of members who I've traded mixes with before. Each week, I can see a chart of the artists and songs that our group listened to most. I can also see charts for any other group on the site, plus a variety of other categories such as the country members hail from, age, sex, etc. The most amazing thing about these charts is that no matter how you divide the thousands of members, from Buenos Aires to Oslo, from Bush haters to Bush lovers, The Beatles invariably end up in the top ten of everybody's Top Artists chart. Apparently, love really is all you need.

No comments: