7.06.2005

Freddy Adu makes too much money

Today's Washington Post has an article about player salaries in Major League Soccer, and according to the documents they're working from, 16-year-old Freddy Adu has the third-highest salary in the league, behind only National Team stars Landon Donovan and Eddie Johnson, both of whom are being rewarded for choosing MLS over European offers. These figures don't include endorsements, so you've got to figure Freddy's pulling in a pretty nice chunk of change beyond his base salary. Now don't get me wrong, with all the demands on the poor kid's time as "the face of MLS" and "the savior of US Soccer", he works for his money... off the field, anyway. But let's say I'm Freddy's teammmate Josh Gros. I'm 23, I've started every game but one this year, scored twice as many goals as Freddy this season, have been an integral part of DC United basically since I stepped on the field last year, and I make $28,000. By my calculations, that's a little more than 5% of what my 16-year-old teammate who comes off the bench is making. I'm barely making a living wage, while this kid who just got his driver's license is shopping for Escalades and Lexus SC's. I'd love to be in that locker room tomorrow after everybody's had time to read this article. Freddy sure as hell better be buying dinner tomorrow night. And the next night. And the next...

Other crap:
SPIN magazine says that Radiohead's OK Computer is the best album of the past 20 years. I tend to agree. On a related note, I have a couple of friends from a past job who work at SPIN now, and those bitches know how to keep a secret.

Buy this CD. Lush, pretty, acoustic songs that are sometimes upbeat, sometimes wacky and sometimes heartbreaking, but all around beautiful. And for those of you readers who live in Illinois, you get the added bonus of all the songs being about your state. Neat-o!

Add to the list of CDs that get better everytime you listen to them: The Beastie Boys' Paul's Boutique. I know nobody could ever make this album today due to the expense of licensing all the samples, but that just makes the Dust Brothers' production that much more amazing. This is the sickest mix CD anybody ever made.

Canadians booed Celene Dion. Dan Aykroyd begged them to stop. Do I even need to say anything else?

No comments: