1.20.2007

Sophomore Slump

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest. Normally, the fact that a "hastily thrown-together sequel designed to capitalize on the success of the first movie" sucks would come as no shock to me. But since the first Pirates was a pleasant surprise in terms of quality and how much I enjoyed it, I was hoping for a little more to this film. Unfortunately, it fell into all the standard traps: Lame dialogue, a flimsy excuse for a plot, wholesale changes in the personalities of main characters, and using at least half of the movie to set up the events of the third (and soon-to-be-released) Pirates movie. Plus, Johnny Depp’s effeminate-Keith-Richards-as-a- pirate shtick wore thin pretty quickly the second time out. Because I'm a completist, I'll watch the third one, if only to see how badly they screw it up. Sadly, I can’t say I'm surprised at the downward turn this second movie took, but I am a little disappointed.

1 comment:

Todd - MyFlightBlog.com said...

I was this on a plane (thankfully it was free, well if you don't count the airfare). I agree it was awful. The plot was so ridiculous. I think I will likely pass on a third one.