8.05.2006

Under the Rainbow

Well, here's a sight that I didn't see much of in Indy. I took this photo from the roof of my building about an hour ago. My lens didn't go wide enough to get the whole thing, but it was a pretty amazing sight. I could see pretty much the entire rainbow from up there, and my camera definitely doesn't do it justice.

But as I've quickly discovered, rainbows are just one of the many differences between Indy and Denver. Despite still being busy at work (and spending a lot of free time working on my redesign plans), I'm finally beginning to feel settled in out here, and I'm starting to notice a quality of life change. A lot of the nagging health issues I was dealing with in Indy have disappeared, which is probably due to a lot of things: eating better, sleeping better, exercising more, enjoying my job again, and better weather. With the exception of an atypical two-day rainstorm, it's been sunny every day since I moved here. There are thunderstorms that roll through (like the one that caused the rainbow), but they hardly ever last more than an hour. And except for the couple of days that it got over 100°, even the hot days are pleasant.

Another change is that I've hardly been watching any TV, mainly because I have lots of better stuff to do. I'm still exploring Denver, but I've also been able to read a ton of books, catch a few movies, go out for beers, and anything else that doesn't involve sitting on my couch vegetating. Today alone I walked around downtown for a little while, redesigned the restaurant section of the magazine, saw Clerks 2 (another disappointment from Kevin Smith, who apparently should have retired after Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back), read a few chapters of the latest book on my pile, A Storm of Swords (Book 3 of George R. R. Martin's excellent Song of Ice and Fire series), and worked out. And on top of that, I did manage to squeeze in a little TV-viewing when I watched the MLS All-Stars upset Chelsea, champions of the English Premier League two years running who are basically All-Stars themselves, having the most expensive roster in the world (including 16 players who represented their countries at the World Cup). Anyone who didn't see the match won't read too much into the result, but contrary to the way exhibitions and All-Star games usually go, this match was hard-fought and a well-deserved victory for MLS. Chelsea is in their preseason, and it showed, but it wasn't like they were mailing it in. That much was obvious when John Terry, their captain and central defender, pushed up to play forward for the last 10 minutes of the game trying to score the equalizing goal. Doesn't sound much like a "training match" to me. It was a good game, and nice to see MLS earn a bit more international respect. Chicago's new Toyota Park looked great as well, especially with a sell-out crowd in the seats. Along with the game, MLS also made the exciting announcement that they've signed a new deal with ESPN and ABC. OK, obviously that's good that the league will continue to be on TV, but here's the kicker: For the past 11 years, MLS has basically been buying time from the networks to show their games. No more. For the first time, the money will be going the other direction, with ESPN paying rights fees to show MLS games. This is fantastic news for a league that has struggled to make money for its entire existence. With TV money flowing in and more teams owning their own stadiums (thus controlling all the revenue), the league is suddenly looking financially solid. And that can only help the product on the field. More money = better players. It's that simple.
SOUNDS
The Eraser, Thom Yorke
1, The Beatles

IMAGES
Clerks 2

WORDS
A Game of Thrones, George R. R. Martin
A Clash of Kings, George R. R. Martin
A Storm of Swords, George R. R. Martin

1 comment:

jsa said...

cool picture!!
I love rainbows. they make me feel like a tiny, incosequential spec on the universe, but somehow they're beautiful anyway.