8.28.2006

Why Should the Fire Die?

Nothing like starting off the week with some crappy news. I opened my email this morning to this message from one of my favorite bands, Nickel Creek:


Dearest Listener,

After seven years of extensive touring in support of three records (seventeen years as a band), we've decided to take a break of indefinite length at the end of 2007 to preserve the environment we've sought so hard to create and to pursue other interests. It has been a pleasure to write, record, and perform for you through the years and we'd like to heartily thank you for your invaluable contribution to our musical lives.

Yours,

Nickel Creek
(Sean, Sara, and Chris)



Doesn't sound too promising, does it? I've been lucky enough to see these guys four times over the past six years, (most recently at Bonnaroo) and every time, they put on a fantastic show. In between Nickel Creek albums, both Chris Thile and Sean Watkins have released numerous solo albums and performed with a variety of different artists, but the band definitely had something special when they played together. I'll keep listening to whatever their new projects are (like Chris' new album), and I hope they continue to be successful, but here's hoping their break doesn't last too long. Hopefully I'll get a chance to see them again before the end of '07, and I also hope that after that time, Sara Watkins will find have plenty of opportunities to continue singing. Meanwhile, I'm keeping their music alive by listening to my entire collection of Nickel Creek, side projects, and solo albums (which, according to my iTunes, should be good for about seven hours).

UPDATE: After a bit of Googling, I found an article on Billboard.com that sheds more light on the situation, and Rexblog goes even further into the "hiatus". Billboard has more info on upcoming projects, including the happy news (for me, anyway) that Sara has a solo album due out in the next six months.

No comments: