7.21.2006

A Work in Progress

New city + new job = a lot less time for blogging. I hope my three regular readers haven't missed me too much.

In between trying to adjust to a new system at work, balance a variety of new responsibilities, redesign a magazine, find my way around a new city, find a permanent place to live, and stay in touch with everyone back east, I have managed to read a few soccer articles. It's interesting that the tone of the American sports media has changed appreciably since the end of the World Cup. I think the TV numbers really woke some people in the industry up to the fact that there is a huge untapped market of viewers and readers out there, and that's been reflected in a very welcome and sometimes startling respect being given to all aspects of the game—international, European, and even MLS. A perfect example? SI.com discusses the announcers for the 2010 World Cup... nearly 4 years in advance! If that's not a sign of soccer's increased media footprint, I don't know what is.

SOUNDS
The Avalanche: Outtakes and Extras from the Illinois Album, Sufjan Stevens
Powder Burns, The Twilight Singers
In Dreams, Roy Orbison

WORDS
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, Mark Twain
Bangkok Tattoo, John Burdett

3 comments:

Todd - MyFlightBlog.com said...

I think Arena would do a great job behind the microphone

Mike said...

Yeah, or how great would it be to throw Wynalda and Arena together in the studio? I bet there would be at least one epic argument.

jsa said...

Of course we miss you! Who else's life is there to follow? Idle thoughts to ponder? Pop art and sports updates to feed on?