7.01.2006

I Choose France

Because everyone wrote them off before the tournament even started because they were "too old". Because no one gave them half a chance against mighty Brazil. Because today, the French showed the Brazilians what Joga Bonito is really all about (and somewhere, Eric Cantona is drinking himself into a happy stupor). Because Zinedine Zidane is looking to take one more medal with him into retirement, and he's playing like he's 24, not 34. Because in my opinion, Thierry Henry happens to be the best player in the world. Because out of all the times they've played together, Zidane and Henry never combined for a goal until today, and I want to see that happen again. Because of all the remaining teams, France is the only team with blacks and whites and Christians and Muslims all working together towards one common purpose. Because the other choices are Germany (the hosts... yawn), Portugal (pathetic bunch of divers), and Italy (cheating match-fixers who I hate simply for advancing out of the US's group when the US didn't). Because a France jersey is hanging in my closet in Indy, and I'd be glad to wear it again. Allez les Bleus!

No comments: