4.17.2006

No Place Like Home

Flew to Maryland for a visit with the fam this weekend. Frederick is absolutely gorgeous this time of year. We walked around downtown after brunch on Sunday, and appropriately enough for Easter weekend, all the trees and flowers were in full bloom. For a town that I couldn't wait to leave when I was growing up, good old Fredneck has its moments. There's some youth and money pouring into downtown, and a lot of houses and buildings that I remember as looking pretty rough have been restored, with plenty of new plants and fresh paint to go with some interesting stores and cafes. Last night I had a beer on the patio of the local brewpub with my brother and his girlfriend, and realized there's a bit of a European feel now, which is kind of cool. Of course, there were also still pickup trucks driving by with ten rednecks crammed into the bed, so things haven't changed that much.

On Saturday, my dad and brothers and I went down to RFK Stadium to see United take on the Houston Dynamo. Despite some rather, um, unpretty play, DC managed to score twice and earn a victory. And with better finishing, young Freddy Adu could have easily had a hat trick. Instead, he hit the bar and went just wide twice. As my high school coach would have said, "Unlucky!" I did manage to get a few decent photos (see one above), although I'm figuring out that the autofocus on my camera is really touchy. See more slightly blurry shots from the match here.
IMAGES
Elizabethtown
WORDS
Tyrannosaur Canyon, Douglas Preston

3 comments:

jsa said...

I had the same thought as I drove around Montgomery County this weekend.....was supposed to go to Frederick on Friday night to see my nephew but he bailed. Went to Inner Harbor instead of DC on Saturday (last minute change). We really should coordinate vacations one of these years....

Todd - MyFlightBlog.com said...

Your link for photos did not work for me. Glad you had fun at home.

Mike said...

Sorry. That link should be fixed now.