11.07.2004

Ending the week on a better note

Well, I've recovered enough from the election to be able to look back and get some perspective, and I've decided I'm not as mad that Bush won as I am mad at both parties for not giving us better candidates to vote for. There's so much wrong with the system that the really good people will never run, and there's plenty that needs fixing. Jason Kottke has managed to already put a lot of my thoughts into words, so see what he has to say. I wish somebody like Karl Rove didn't have to exist, but since he does, I sure wish the Democrats had somebody like him. And speaking of spin, I love how much we've heard in recent days that Bush winning 51% of the vote is an "overwhelming mandate", and "unquestionable mandate", and a "resounding victory". Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but 51% is not a resounding victory any way you cut it. That means just slightly less than half of the people voted against you. It was a victory no doubt, but he squeaked through. Hardly the landslide you'd think it was from reading the papers. Well, Greg Mitchell at Editor & Publisher agrees with me, and he's taken the media to task for allowing the Republican spin-meisters to force-feed them this line.

Meanwhile, back in real life, exciting things are happening in the sports world. DC United is going to the MLS Cup Final, next Sunday at 3:30 on ABC. After beating New England last night in a 6-goal thriller that needed 30 minutes of overtime and 6 rounds of penalty kicks to decide a winner, United advances to meet the Kansas City Wizards for the title. Freddy Adu could get a championship ring in his first season.

And speaking of championships, is it too soon to start talking about the Steelers? Ben Roethlisberger (a fellow alum of Miami University) has led them to 6 straight wins as a starter, including beating the Patriots and Eagles, the top two teams in the NFL, in the last two weeks. With a good running game and a strong defense, Big Ben may be the final piece the Steelers need to be a contender.

No comments: