9.27.2004

Two of the coolest movies you'll never see

I'm always impressed to see people using their work experience to create something they love. When it also happens to be something I love, even better. If you read my post about the trailer for Garden State, you'll know about my fascination with movie previews. Well, thanks to Maxim (I know, I'm surprised I read it too), I've discovered a great site, collorastudios.com. Sandy Collora used to be a creature designer for Stan Winston Studios, a special effects house that has created groundbreaking work for films like the Terminator series, the Jurassic Park movies, the Alien series, both Predator movies, and a host of others, but has since gone on to form his own production company. Like a lot of film and comic book fans, Collora grew tired of listening to a variety of wild rumors about Batman and Superman movies and wished the movies could just get made, and made well. Unlike most fans, however, he actually had the budget and experience at his disposal to do something about it. Last year, he created an amazing short film, Batman: Dead End. I won't spoil the climax for you, but I will say this: Collora does more with the "stars" of a certain lame summer movie in 5 minutes than the studio managed to do with 2 hours and a multi-million dollar budget.

Now, Collora has created a preview for another movie, World's Finest. This one takes its title from the DC comic book of the same name, a monthly team-up of Superman and Batman that has them battling the evil plans of Lex Luthor, now president of the United States. Sadly, we'll likely never get to see this one fleshed out into an actual movie, but if fanboys everywhere had their wish, this movie would be in production already. Over the past couple of years, I've seen a slew of fan-produced trailers for movies that will never be made popping up on the web, but I guarantee you won't find one much better than this.

No comments: