12.08.2005

My new toy

Christmas came a little early this year. Yesterday I bought a new digital camera (a present from Mom and Dad—thanks, you guys), the Canon Powershot S2 IS. It's a little fancier than your standard point and shoot, with a 12x optical zoom, image stabilization, and a variety of shooting modes, but not quite at the level (or price) of an SLR model like the EOS Rebel. I have yet to read the manual, but I was still able to take the picture you see below (Indy's War Memorial, covered in today's still-falling snow) and get it to the point where I can upload it to my blog, thereby proving I am at least as smart as a chimpanzee. Pretty, shiny, silver thingy make picture. Once I actually do open the manual, imagine the fun I'll have! Look for more original photos in this space soon as I continue to experiment.

I think we got 8 inches of snow over 3 or 4 hours, and of course the usual Midwestern chaos ensued. Everyone rushed to leave work "before the roads got bad," thereby jamming every road in town and causing thousands of commuters to be on the snowy roads much longer than they normally would. A typical 30 minute commute to the northern suburbs seemed to be taking about 2 hours. It's days like this that make me appreciate walking to work even more than usual. I didn't even mess with the grocery stores, but I assume they're running rather low in the bread and milk sections. Luckily, most of this mess will be gone tomorrow, and then everyone can stop complaining about the snow and go back to complaining about how cold it is.

1 comment:

Todd - MyFlightBlog.com said...

Cool gift. I know you will enjoy it.