12.13.2005

Killing time

Well, I resisted it for a long time, but I've finally been seduced by Sudoku's wily ways. If there's still anybody out there who's been living under a rock, Sudoku is a Japanese number puzzle somewhat like a crossword. As you can see in the image, it's a 9 x 9 square, divided into nine 3 x 3 squares. The object is to get each 3x3 square, each vertical column and each horizontal row to contain the numbers 1-9, used only once in each sequence. I know a lot of people who have doing these puzzles for a while, and I wasn't sure if I wanted to try it. I've never been much of a puzzle guy. But I went to Borders today looking for something to read on my upcoming flight to London, and the first thing inside the door was a display of various sudoku books, all on sale at 3 for the price of 2. So after playing around with a sample puzzle, I ended up leaving with three books. So far, I've done five puzzles today, and I've already bookmarked WebSudoku.com. I forsee a lot of my time getting eaten up by this game, but I don't mind it as much as say, playing XBox. At least this way I'm using my brain cells instead of killing them.

No comments: