10.20.2004

Things To Look Forward To

I spent a refreshing long weekend visiting my family last week. My dad's side of the family had a mini-reunion on Saturday, and it was a good chance to catch up with various aunts and uncles and cousins that I don't get to see too often. This was a trip I was getting excited about for a month or so before it happened, and on the flight back, I started thinking about other things I'm looking forward to as the year draws to a close:

The MLS Playoffs, starting Friday night. DC United had a string finish to the season, winning 5 of their last 6, and given the parity of the league this year, the playoffs should be wide open. I'm planning to go to Columbus for the Eastern Conference Finals, and hopefully I'll be seeing DC there.

A World Series with no Yankees. Hopefully the Sox can break the curse tonight. I'm no Sox fan, but anybody who can beat the Yankees gets my support.

U2's new CD. If you've heard the first single, "Vertigo" (or caught the iTunes ad), you know it sounds like the boys from Dublin are making a return to their early sound. Bono has described this as "an angry record, fueled by a guitarist who's sick to death of seeing his lead singer shaking hands with world leaders". If that's the case, the Edge should get mad more often.

Ocean's 12. It took me a long time to get past the big name movie-starness of Steven Soderbergh's remake of the Rat Pack classic, but now I appreciate it for what it is: a slick, smart, funny love letter to Las Vegas. This time, the entire cast of the original (plus Bruce Willis) get turned loose in Europe. Should be a good time.

No comments: