10.09.2004

Season's end

Sadly, my first coaching experience has come to an end. The Blast lost in the semifinal game of the playoffs this morning, 2-0. They had advanced to the semis by winning their first-round game on Thursday night. I missed the game due to work, but I understand it was a tightly fought 1-0 affair. Today's game was a little more wide open, and the coaches were very proud of our guys despite the loss. They played the best game I've seen out of them all season. They defended well and passed well, but just couldn't get the ball in the back of the net.

Their opponents today were the Bulldogs, who had totally overwhelmed our guys in the last regular season game. Today was a different story, and except for the two early goals and a couple of very questionable refereeing decisions, it was a very even game. It was amazing how much better the boys played when they knew the game meant something. No problem getting them to focus today.

After the game ended, Fred, our head coach, gave medals to all the boys and then we said our goodbyes. One guy even started crying, although we couldn't figure out if he was sad that the season was over or just upset that the team lost today. Either way, it was kind of cute and very touching. I'm glad I got a chance to be involved with this team, and I'll take away some good knowledge to apply to the next time I coach.

No comments: