12.09.2006

Ski School

This is me, on skis and smiling. I post this picture because this is the first known occurrence of this combination. In the past, skis and I have been like oil and water. Downhill skiing, water skiing... it didn't matter where I was, I did not like the feeling of a big board strapped to each foot. But today, that changed. I took my first cross-country lesson, opting for skate skiing (side-to-side motion) over classic (back and forth motion). As the name implies, to move yourself forward, you push off in a skating motion, as if you were ice skating or rollerblading (which helped me). I had my share of falls, some rather spectacular, but I had a good teacher, and I feel like I started to pick it up pretty quickly. By the end of the day, I was skiing 2-mile loops without falling... very much.

What I liked about this type of skiing is that is more about moving yourself and a lot less about just trying to stay upright. Once I got the motion down, it was pretty easy as long as I concentrated on keeping my weight shifted forward, and the area where I was skiing (Snow Mountain Ranch in Fraser, CO) is absolutely gorgeous. I pretty much only skiied one trail today, but I've got enough gear now that I can go back anytime I want, and I'm already planning my next trip so that I can explore more of the ranch.

That is, if my body ever recovers from today. Ow.
WATCH
Collateral
March of the Penguins/Of Penguins and Men

1 comment:

Todd - MyFlightBlog.com said...

No video of the wipeouts? Congrats on the new skillz.