10.09.2005

Zzzzzzz...

Here's a little note I just dropped to the folks at ESPN:

Dear ESPN,

It's Sunday at 9:27 pm CDT, and I'm watching your channel for one thing: football. Please save the highlights of other sports for Sportscenter. Aside from the fact that you're running the risk of losing half of your viewership by putting them to sleep, if you must show bore-ball highlights during halftime of Sunday Night Football, put them at the end of the halftime show so that those of us who couldn't care less might use that time as a snack break and not have to worry about missing any of the good stuff: namely, the NFL highlights. When is the media finally going to realize that America's pastime's time has passed? Give me cold weather, beer commercials, and a full Sunday slate of NFL action 'til I die, but please don't interrupt to waste my time with the only sport in this country that can cure insomnia.


I'll tip my cap to baseball's memory, but enough is enough. The sport gasped its last breath when Cal Ripken hung up his spikes. The sooner everyone realizes it, the better.

8 comments:

jsa said...

Wow! Tell us how you really feel!

Baseball is the most boring sport on the planet, with the possible exception of that weird shuffle board-type broom thing that was in the Olympics a few times.

But there are some serious baseball fans out there you are sure to have pissed off mightily. Maybe that means they'll print it.

Mike said...

Or they can get back at me by making me watch an entire baseball game.

Todd - MyFlightBlog.com said...

I am not a baseball fan. I onle watch a game her and there and usually then only if I am there in person. But, yesterdays 18 inning playoff game with two grand slams was pretty spectacular and worthy of a clip or two.

I think you are just angry because baseball is holding up some fox programming. 8-) The good news is it will be all over in a few weeks!

Mike said...

I do miss the AD.

Anonymous said...

I respect that you qualified baseball as the most boring sport of THIS country, considering how many intentional walks and dribblers down the line one must suffer through before it even comes close to the monotony of a checkered ball rolling back and forth in what is the most boring, sleep-inducing, WORLD-WIDE sport never seen on American televison . . . Love and pop-ups, Cal Ripken III

P.S. My father never really hung up his spikes -- he can be found adding to his games-played streak every afternoon on our backyard wiffle ball field.

Full uniform and glare-busting paint under his eyes to boot.

Mike said...

Hi Cal,

Welcome to the site. Say hi to your dad for me. So, if soccer's never on American TV, how would you know how boring it supposedly is?

Let me break it down for you:
Soccer = 45 minutes of action. 10 minute break. 45 minutes of action. Over. Done.
Baseball = 4.5 seconds of action. 10 minute break, 4.5 seconds of action. 10 minute break. Ooh! A hit! 6 seconds of action! 10 minute break. Over and over and over and over... who knows when it will end? And who cares? Not I.

Oh, and by the way, soccer-bashing is so 2001.

Anonymous said...

To answer your question, my father has gray hair. And a LOT of money. That money allows us opportunity to travel the world. Unfortunately, I've witnessed first-hand, big balls bouncing to the left and bouncing to the right across soccer fields in many countries outside than the US.

No wait, that was my hotel room and my chin I'm thinking of. I retract my statement . . .

Later. I've got to get back to polishing my Dad's Gold Glove Awards.

No wait, I'm thinking of something else that needs polishing . . .

Mike said...

Mmm hmm.