5.02.2007

Dinosaur Act

I'm listening to Dinosaur Jr’s great new album, beyond, but I didn’t buy it. And no, I didn’t download it illegally like one of them lawless kiddies, either. Then how, you ask, am I managing to do this? Why, I’m using Spinner, a pretty cool section of the AOL music site, which is going a long way towards making me forgive them for those ubiquitous CDs. Every week, Spinner streams 8-10 full-album new releases, and surprisingly, they’re usually pretty good stuff. I’ve been able to listen to the latest albums from Modest Mouse, Fountains of Wayne, Kings of Leon, and now DJ. Good for me, because I get entertainment at work and get to decide whether the disc is worth buying, and also good for the record company, because in every case, I’ve ended up buying the music I listen to.... which I plan to do with beyond just as soon as I get home tonight. The reunited original lineup sounds much tighter than they did on the early albums, and J Mascis’ epic solos just get better with age. Love it.

No comments: