3.11.2007

Lion’s Share

Pride of Baghdad, Brian K. Vaughn and Niko Henrichon. Damn. Every once in a while, I get lucky with an impulse buy that turns out to be so much better than I expect, and I wonder why I didn’t buy it sooner. This graphic novel has been out for a few months, and I’ve heard plenty of good things (not to mention Vaughn is one of my favorite writers in modern comics), but I just got around to picking it up today. The “based-on-a-true” story follows a group of lions (freed from the Baghdad Zoo by an American bomb) as they struggle to survive in the devastated city. The art is lush and cinematic, the writing is original and inventive (the lions serve as allegory for the people of Baghdad, but it’s handled with subtlety), and I’m kicking myself for not buying this sooner. Definitely worthy of a spot on my bookshelf.

No comments: