12.30.2004

Best of 2004, Part II (TV)

The Best TV of 2004
I don’t watch a lot of TV, so a show has to be good to get my attention. Here’s what got me to sit in front of the tube this year:

Arrested Development
There is invariably one scene in every episode that makes me laugh so hard I either a) pull a muscle in my stomach b) fall off the couch c) snort and hope the neighbors didn’t hear. For those of you who “don’t get" this show, I'm sorry. You probably never will.

Lost
Cool on a lot of levels, but mostly that it’s a show about a desert island that doesn’t involve Jeff Probst. Every episode is something different, and it keeps me coming back each week for more.

Scrubs
I didn’t start watching this until I saw Garden State, and I wish they’d hurry up and get Season 1 out on DVD so that I can see what I’ve missed. Thankfully, I made it in time for Heather Graham’s guest run, but the entire cast has a great chemistry, and the random humor is right up my alley. Long live the squirrel army!

Entourage
I figured HBO would be a waste of money once The Sopranos ended this year, but after two episodes of this show, I was hooked. Insider Hollywood jokes, fantastic cameos, and Jeremy Piven chewing scenery as a sleazeball agent combine to make this worth ponying up for the premium channels.

R.I.P.: Angel
The writing got better, the plotlines got more interesting, and the ratings went up, so the WB cancelled the show. I’ll never understand L.A.

Oh yeah. Reality TV still sucks, and it's only getting worse.

No comments: